To Every Season there is a Thing

Remember last Fall and how it teased us here in Texas with changing leaves, some cold nights and then 70 degree days? Now we arrive in a frigid January- or at least frigid for us Texans!

I can't help but reflect on the Seasons. We in the Christian world love to talk about Seasons- not the changing weather, but the periods of our life that bring change. There are sweet seasons, of course. God is- above all else- so sweet. But, seasons are really about change. As I stare at the tree outside my window, I realize that as a tree changes, it never seems to come without a dropping of leaves, revealing a bare tree.  Here it is exposed and you can even see scars or imperfections.

 Hebrews 4:13 says Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

What inside your soul needs to be laid bare in anticipation of change? For many of us we prefer to hide the ugly or pain deep inside. But, in order to heal, we have got to deal! Deal with the thing.

The last few months have been a hard transition for me- many things in my life have been changing- and have been attacked. All of the roles that define me and give me purpose- have seen a shifting. This is the devil's playground if we let him. He always goes for destruction and weakness. He attacks your darkest shame, insecurities and fears when there is new land to lay claim to.

One of mine is brokenness. I tell myself that we are a broken family. We are a 2nd marriage with kids that have grown up going back and forth, back and forth- A lot of pain has layered the times of fun and love and it is easy to feel broken and defeated.  But, a beautiful friend recently said to me, "you are not broken" as she looked at me and shook her head. Her eyes were so sincere I could tell she does not see us that way. She gave me a gift- she sees our family of 4 the way Jesus sees us.

So, why do I tell myself this? Why do I profess to be broken?  Hmmm, I blame it on that sneaky devil- he loves for me to believe it!   Consider that if I stay in a mindset of brokenness, then I cannot be pieced together...and I remain un-whole.

How can I be effective for Jesus if I'm in pieces? Especially, if I'm the one choosing to stay in pieces.

I would rather be laid bare I've decided. Out of the depths of my hidden soul and into the light of our Father's glory and grace.  And, then much like a tree waits through the dark winter for the new buds to push through in Spring, I am expectant for the Lord to do a new thing.  Todd White says this bit about we are always asking what the new thing is. He pokes fun and says the new is the old thing. The same old thing that God is always doing. Calling us to be a light. Calling us out of darkness to give the hope of Jesus to someone else. Someone that doesn't know him.

See, I am doing a new thing! Now, it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. Isaiah 43:19

I love that there is an exclamation point!

In the whole context of Hebrews 4 and being laid bare, it is talking of rest, and obedience, and not hardening your hearts. Not staying in your brokenness and using it as a "oh well, too bad I can't do anything about it" mindset.  It also reminds us that the Word of God is living and active, and penetrates to divide our soul all while judging the attitude of our heart.  Basically pouring in truth and exposing the darkest parts of us.

My broken wasteland of a soul longs for His streams to make a way. Streams of living water that I can pour back out!

He is so faithful. One of the sweetest characteristics of our God is his faithfulness. And, so when we seek him we will find him. He will reveal deep and hidden things to us.

SEEK.  This word has resonated within me for some time now. Seeking him, of course. Seeking what he will reveal in me as the new buds spring forth out of this season.

As I sought him within the approaching New Year, I asked him to give me some words to replace the broken words I often replay inside of my head.
Alongside of SEEK, he gave me SAVE, HOPE and CALLED.
I hope to share with you in the months to come how each of these words will bear much fruit as streams make way and the wilderness becomes lush and green in His great light.

One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek;  I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.Wait for the Lordbe strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
Psalm 27

Comments

Popular Posts