Perseverance, Purpose; Purpose, Perseverance

It doesn't matter how tough we are, trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home, it changes our lives. Trauma messes everybody up, but maybe that's the point. All the pain and the fear and the crap. Maybe going through all of that is what keeps us moving forward-- It's what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up ...before we can step up.
Okay, so I watch Grey's Anatomy and this was the closing on this weeks episode. In my humanity, it resonated deep within me --as dark as it reads, I believe for many of us it hits home.
I have had some conversations with close friends lately about this stench all around us that continues and even seems to grow--of death and destruction and pain and loss and sickness. Is this the end times- or- has it always been, but I'm just old enough to get it now-or- is it just the technology that allows us to see and hear and get instant information about all the trauma as it happens?
Where do we fit in all this or more importantly: how can we go on, how do we fight through? I love the statement above"maybe it's what keeps us moving forward, it's what pushes us."

I love the Lord and his faithfulness. When I opened my bible today and read James 1 this is what I found: (note that it is to the 12 tribes, scattered among the nations- that's all of us, baby!)

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Sweet perseverance, given to us, allowed us by the great God Almighty! I am beginning to "get it." See, I think as kids, we just want to be teenagers, and as teenagers we just want to be out of the house, college, work, something. Once we get out of the house, we want a family, a spouse, a fancy career, a house, car. But, still nothing satisfies completely and you begin to realize that all of these next levels doesn't bring the ultimate joy or satisfaction. Especially once you begin to experience trauma and grief, losses of all kinds. I'm not just talking about death, but all of it. Name one thing that has ever made you mad or fearful or frustrated and you've got it. Name one thing or person that has ever had it's hold on you.

You know what I did after I read that verse this morning? This is funny! I journaled a prayer to God that I did not like or want all this testing in my life! see vs 3.
Oh, guess what kind of day I had??? Full of tests! :) Oh, I love Him and his sense of humor and his sweet faithfulness to me. At the end of this day, I still have his love and his comfort and his peace and his promise to walk me through, push me through every testing thing that ever happens!

One of my very favorite verses lately is Psalm 119:75-76
I know, O Lord, that your laws are righteous and in faithfulness you have afflicted me. May your unfailing love be my comfort according to your promise to your servant.

That verse could be a book for me really. I mean I have really messed up over the years, but I make choices now to step up and persevere. I want to thank all of the people that help me persevere and hold me accountable to persevere in Him! I will continue to persevere longing for that completeness and maturity in Him. And, I'm quite sure that I will continue to NOT LIKE being tested.

Although it can be fun to look back on and realize, "whoo, I made it through.. and did okay!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
YA know, we really need to get together... We seem to be parrallel somehow lately.

Popular Posts